Sunday, July 14, 2013

525,600 Minutes (x2) - Part One


So a long holiday weekend gives a man time to think.  Since the 4th of July, I’ve been surveying the last two years in the life of my family.  As I recalled the memories and emotions of some major events, I felt a peace that surpasses understanding.  While I don’t recall every moment of the last 700+ days being worry-free, from my perspective on this side of all it, I’m more convinced than ever of God’s ever-abiding presence, guidance, and blessing in our lives.  (Psalm 23:6  “surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.”)  And, since I haven't exactly posted anything during that time, I need to play a quick catch up.  Unless I think of something else, I’ve got ten major events, so I’ll take them in pairs:


The living room, at around 12:30am, Christmas Day
1.       I guess when I look back, the starting point of the “craziness” for our family was Christmas Eve, 2011.  We had been in Lubbock, celebrating Christmas with April’s family.  I was helping lead a candlelight service in Odessa that evening, so we headed back to Midland with enough time to drop off our things, get ready, and head over to rehearsal.  I’ll never forget the kids getting out of the car, heading in the back door, and shouting back to us, “the floor is wet.”   
The next few hours included pizza and presents on the floor in our bedroom (all of the bedrooms were dry), a shop vac in the wading pool (the sunken living room), and a pile of carpet on the back porch by 3:30am.  Santa dropped off presents into the kids’ rooms, instead of on the concrete slab.  April’s back/neck were injured in the process, but that’s a story for later.  Here’s what I’ll remember most about that Christmas:  On that cold concrete floor, my family laughed and played like nothing was unusual about not having carpet.  No one whined about “why” this had happened.  We just gave thanks for what was protected and made the best of some “bad luck.”  The bad luck was a supply line to a toilet that broke loose.  (James 1:2-3  “Consider it pure joy…whenever you face trials of many kinds…”)  We definitely have seen trials of “many kinds” over the last year and a half, but this one just seemed like another story to tell.  (And believe me, I’ve only given the shortened version.)
The back porch aftermath...


Prayers with the College Leadership
2.       The next memory was a distinct high point, as April and I had a tremendous opportunity to visit  Indonesia and Singapore on a Missions Oversight Trip.  Three days on the island of Batam, visiting a college that prepares young Indonesians to lead and serve in the church over there.  After that, three days in the City/Nation/Island of Singapore, spending time with the church there and seeing a part of the world we had never even planned to see. 
The largest tree I've ever seen
April and I spent one evening on our own in Indonesia, with no interpreter, just “blending in” with the people.  (I went back and added quotes, because there’s no way we could blend in with the natives.  Blonde hair, white skin, and above average height are all traits that are unique over there.)  Singapore offered a night-time zoo visit, a Broadway quality musical, and a stark contrast to the poverty of the island just an hour’s ferry ride away. 
Singapore, the modern City
The people, however, were accommodating in all of  our experiences.  I was especially fond of the flights to get overseas and  back, where for up to 14 hours at a time, all I did was watch movies and read books.  No one called me, stopped in my office, sent me an email (OK I just couldn’t read them), or made demands of me that I had to deal with.  It was telling how much I enjoyed that aspect of the trip.  I seriously thought immediately after that how traveling around the world every so often would be very "restful".  However, the most memorable thing for me was how difficult it was to even get to the church building on Batam.  It was the equivalent of needing a 4x4 on a mountain trail, that “road” that led to the Sunday gathering.  We all remarked about how much someone would have to want to go to worship to be able to make the trip.  Worshiping and communing with my brothers and sisters on the other side of the globe, I remember the overwhelming feeling that the world is much bigger than I’d entertained in my head, and yet, the world was connected such that it’s really a small place now.  (Romans 10:14-15  “How, then can they call on the one they have not believed in?  And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?  And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?  And how can anyone preach unless they are sent?  As it is written:  “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”)
The Batam church
More stories/memories to come as soon as I can get them out of my head and onto the computer.
 
Just Passing Through,
 
Eric
 


No comments:

Post a Comment