I hate cancer. Maybe I
shouldn’t have such an emotion for a disease, but I do. I Hate cancer. I know God can and does work through
situations and people going through cancer diagnoses, treatments, remissions,
and deaths. But I HATE cancer. I’ve seen some of the most Christ-like
attitudes from individuals with cancer, or their families, as they face down
the disease. But I HATE CANCER!
Today, I learned that cancer has finally taken the life of
my PSC team member, one of my engineering mentors, my friend and brother in
Christ, Gary Dawson. So while I’ve known
this was coming for some time, it hit me hard tonight, as I prepared to tell my
kids about it. They’ve lost two great-grandparents
and one grandmother in the last 9 months.
But that’s not why it was difficult...those were sudden, this was
not. Sometimes death is too large of a
topic for kids. But that’s not why this
was difficult…they understand death to some extent, and heaven to probably a
greater depth than I do. I guess it can
be hard when you know someone well. But
that’s not why this was difficult…they had never even met Gary.
To explain why this hit me hard, I’ll have to go back a
couple of years. Every morning when I took
the kids to school, we would hit a certain turn, and pray the rest of the way
to school. Not long after we started
this habit, we learned of a couple of people battling cancer. We made it a point to mention them by name
every morning. At the time, Gary was in
remission, but when he let me know that the disease was back, he became the third
name on the list. Over the course of
last year, we added two more names. As I
sit here tonight, the other four are in complete remission or are doing very
well through their treatments. As we got
more names on the list, Andrew had trouble remembering all of them, so he would
often say “Thank you for healing the people on the list,” or something similar. But when it was my turn, I would say their
names, and be as specific as I could about what we hoped God would do for them.
The conversation tonight was honest, real, and difficult. Most of the prayers my children have uttered
have either come true or were too general to have any intensity behind
them. (“please help all the sick in the
entire world”) I wanted the kids to
understand that sometimes, the people that we’re asking God to heal, still
die. We talked about how I met Gary, and
why he was important in my life. We
talked about why God seems to heal some people, but not others. We shed a few tears for a man they never
met. We asked God to bless his family
and help his grandkids to learn what a great guy he was through stories and
memories.
And I hope my kids’ faith was increased a little. Not faith in a Santa Claus-type figure, that
just gives you stuff. But a faith in the
maker of this world, whose will is sovereign and sometimes difficult to
understand. I want them to have faith in
a God that loves them, and to know that just because disease can take a person’s
life, it doesn’t diminish what God can and has already done to Death.
And maybe, I needed to hear all of the same things. Because I hate cancer, and I hate the way it
overtakes the life that it invades. But
it doesn’t get the last word, love does.
Just Passing Through, (Thank GOD!)
Eric
No comments:
Post a Comment